The big news is that Leicester City Council has launched a consultation on the next stage of the Local Plan. The Local Plan is the planning document produced by the City every 10-15 years that outlines the plans for development of Leicester for the next 15 years or so. It will provide an important context for our Knighton Neighbourhood Plan. The Consultation is concerned with five documents. The most important is the ‘Emerging options’ document, which is based on information in the other four. Consultation on these Emerging Options now will influence what finds its way into the final Plan.
What you can do…
Respond to the City Council’s Consultation
- It is important that as many people as possible give their opinions to the City Council. You can respond to the Consultation on the Council’s website. You can also email them if your comments don’t fit the questionnaire format they use.
Find out more about the Local Plan
- Speakers from the Planning Department will be at the next Knighton Ward Community meeting with our councillors on 29th August. (See our recent post on this subject and the Council’s agenda.)
- Attend one of the exhibitions about the Local Plan on 12th and 13th September 2017, 10.00 am to 4.00 pm in Highcross near the Churchgate entrance..
- Read our summary about the Local Plan and what it means for Knighton.
- Read the documents that make up the consultation. We have produced a diagrammatic guide that shows the five consultation documents, but also shows some of the other documents that the City Council has produced in the past or that have been produced by other organisations that influence what is in the Local Plan. All the relevant documents are hyperlinked to the diagram. Click on the image of a document in the diagram, and it will take you to that document.
Help the Neighbourhood Forum formulate its response to the consultation
- Join us on a walk round Knighton to look at some of the sites that the Council has listed as Potential Development Sites. We will be walking round West Knighton on Sunday 10th September, at 3.00pm, meeting outside the Co-op, and round the East part of Knighton on Sunday 17th September, at 3.00pm, meeting at the Palmerston Way Car Park at Knighton Park.
- Respond to our survey, which focuses on the issues that affect Knighton, particularly the choice of sites for development if there has to be development of new housing in Knighton and what kind of housing we need.
- Join a working group to look at the documents and come up with some recommendations about how the Forum should respond. The first meeting will be on Wednesday 6th September at 7.30 pm in the Lounge at Knighton Parish Centre.
- Come along to the Forum’s open meeting on Tuesday 17th October, 7.30pm, Main Hall, Knighton Parish Centre, Church Lane, Knighton, LE2 3WG.